The addition of crushed canes turns regular chocolate cookies into a holiday classic:
For approximately 30 cookies:
- 2 1/2 cups of plain flour (A/P in the US)
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda (baking soda in the US)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup of caster sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup of candy canes (crushed)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F/180 C (160C fan oven).
2. Line a baking sheet with grease proof paper and put aside.
3. Combine the flour, baking soda, sea salt, and cocoa.
4. In a separate bowl; cream the butter and sugars until smooth before stirring in the eggs (one at a time), vanilla extract and peppermint extract.
5. Mix in the chocolate chips and half of the crushed candy cane pieces. Gradually add flour mixture to complete your cookie dough.
6. Scoop the dough into rounded tablespoons.
7. Dip the tops of the cookies into the remaining candy cane pieces.
8. Place cookie balls on the prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake cookies for 13 minutes, or until just set.
9. Remove from oven and let sit on baking sheet for 10 minutes.
10. Move to a cooling rack and cool completely or enjoy while warm!!
Theses cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
If you would like to bake these festive treats yourself the ingredients are available via my affiliate links:
My classic Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe: https://makeeverydayluxe.com/2022/02/22/classic-chocolate-chip-cookie-recipe/